Saturday, August 22, 2020

Review: The Great Hunt

The Great Hunt The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

First off, I'll keep everything very vague so someone who hasn't read it yet might be intrigued, but it won't ruin anything.

This book exceeded my expectations. The first book in the series was great and I expected more of the same, but it was even better with so many interesting plot twists and new characters. While we still have new locations and people/customs to learn about, hence there was still a need for world building and an abundance of descriptions, the action felt different, specially in the end when everything was coming together. It was exciting!

When I finally put it down, I looked to my dog and said "Wow, just wow." Of course, he can't read, but he does occasionally lick my books, the weirdo. If he could taste how good a story was, would he give it 5 stars? In my last review I said I'm reserving 5 out of 5 for books that are really amazing. And here we are. I stand by it. 5 stars.

Things we explored that I enjoyed:
* different Ajah and what they mean
* Portal Stones
* Damane
* Ogier Customs
* Daes Dae'mar
* Ter'angreal and Nynaeve

Certain relationships were interesting like that of Moiraine and the Amyrlin, or Rand and Hurin. Certain characters--I'll keep the names to myself, but if you've read it, then you know--I knew they were bad! I guess it's not hard to see sometimes, but then there are some that hid it, but I still caught wind of it before they came out and said it. I enjoy that I can see certain things coming, but not others. I want to feel smart, but still be outsmarted at the same time while reading.

This book leaves a lot of unanswered questions, if possible, more than the first. There are several storylines and characters that are completely left where they are, unimportant to how this book pans out. The next books no doubt will follow up on them and we'll learn more of their importance to the story as a whole. This review is much shorter than the last one, but that's because I have a need to dive into the 3rd book as quickly as possible. Must go find out what happens!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Shadow Rising

The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan My rating: 5 of 5 stars I really enjoyed this book, though it had me ...