Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Review: The Alchemist

The Alchemist The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

My mom gave me this book saying though it was a simple read, she loved it. She tends to read anything Oprah puts on her book list, this being no exception. So I borrowed it, read it in an hour or two and gave it back to her immediately; no need to hold onto something there was no chance I was going to read again.

This book encourages people to overcome their fears and chase their dreams at all costs. As a musician and writer, this concept is part of who I am, so while I appreciate some people might need a nudge, I wasn't moved by this concept, though it was presently very clearly. VERY clearly... not slightly hidden or written into the story in metaphor.

The message could have been stated in two sentences. The rest of the journey and ramblings and turning into the wind could have been avoided. The initial love interest is immediately forgotten and the next is no more important than the first. Love at first sight is always ridiculous and doesn't let the reader connect or get drawn in. If the author doesn't take the time to make round characters and then an interesting and well founded relationship, it would be better if these elements were left out, rather than glazed over.

The end was just odd. The message was lost in returning home. So you mean it was here all along?? He tells us he would have not grown without the journey, but the treasure was at home the whole time. I hated that. I like coming home, but my treasure is out in the world.

I also don't go out into the world and just hope my treasure will come to me. This belief is empowering a generation who think if they want something bad enough, they deserve it--I have seen this and have fired these people--it takes a lot more than desire to actually become successful (whatever success means to you).

This book was not for me. I didn't realize this was a self help book, but on reflection, maybe that's why I really didn't care for it--though there are some self help books I have enjoyed, so it's not the genre that I don't like. If you're in need of some guidance, then maybe this book will speak to you, but I doubt it will change your life. If you really want to change your life it has to be accompanied by work ethic and dedication. Reading a silly book will not do it for you.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Shadow Rising

The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan My rating: 5 of 5 stars I really enjoyed this book, though it had me ...